Sephora recently came out with a new sample gift for VIBs from Giorgio Armani, and it looked like things I wanted to try, so I decided to get it, along with a few other things. I didn’t necessarily need anything, but I have been on the hunt for new foundations. I bought a ton of Sephora last year, so I still have my VIB Rouge status, which makes Sephora’s Flash 2-day shipping free.
Some tips I use when ordering:
- Sephora has a seriously good return policy. You can try different products, and if you don’t like them, return them, even if they’re already opened. Some people hesitate to do this, because it’s a waste of product, etc., but this helps me decide what to get. In this case, I’m buying a foundation, so I got it in two different shades to try, and I’ll return the one that doesn’t match. As a side note, always return by shipping it back online (if you buy it online). If you return it in store, they will give you store credit, which cannot be used online.
- Ebates has Sephora at 8% right now, not 4% like it usually does. If you haven’t used Ebates before, it’s a site that gives you a link to shop through, and it will give you that percentage back as cashback. Even if you return something, you still get to keep the 8%. For certain events / days, the percentage might get upped, but I’ve never seen it higher than 8%. Most online retailers are a part of Ebates. It’s also worth checking out sites like Upromise or your credit card cashback site to see if the percentages are higher.
- Since I have free shipping (or if you don’t, shipping is free over $50), I buy in separate orders. This lets me take advantage of different coupon codes, so you can get a free deluxe sample / something of the sort in each order.
- To find aforementioned coupon codes, Sephora will have a listing on their website, but this is not usually the most inclusive list. Check retailmenot for a more exhaustive list to choose from.
- Sign up for a Beauty Insider account. It lets you accumulate points for purchases and doesn’t cost you anything. This is also useful when keeping track of purchases, and Sephora will also send out emails with new product releases.
As a quick overview, for this haul, I split it into two separate orders. The Estee Lauder foundations I paid for, the Giorgio Armani (VIBTRIO) and AmorePacific (ROUGEAMORE) sets I got through coupon codes, and the Elizabeth and James scent was a 100-point rewards using Beauty Insider points.
Not gonna lie, the reason I buy more Lancome / Clinique / Estee Lauder is because they always have so many nice GWPs going on, so I figure if I have to repurchase something, there’ll be more benefits. I’ve been in the market for a new foundation, but I always struggle with finding the perfect shade. I’m looking for a lighter, summer foundation but for some reason, I ended getting this one instead. I’ve seen this one talked about in the blogosphere here and there, and I do like my full coverage (because I’m lazy about blemish correction with concealer). I got this in two shades to see which one fit me better: Ecru and Ivory Nude. I just got this yesterday, so I’m wearing Ivory Nude today. First impressions: it has medium-full coverage and is a bit heavier, similar to my go-to foundation: Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation.
Giorgio Armani Trio
As mentioned above, I got this trio through using the code (VIBTRIO), which is available to all VIBs (including non-Rouge). It includes the Giorgio Armani Black Ecstasy Mascara in Color 1, Lip Maestro in Color 400, and Fluid Sheer in Color 2. This seems like it could almost be a 500-point reward, but it wasn’t! (If only being a VIB paid off more often.) First impressions, the Black Ecstasy Mascara was a bit disappointing – it has more natural volume (read: not so much volume), and Color 1 basically means black. The packaging on the full size (which I didn’t get) is really nice! The wand is a gorgeous red. I haven’t tried the Fluid Sheer, but I have light skin and with its sheerness, it’ll probably be usable. The Lip Maestro I wish was a bit of a deeper red, but it felt really nice when I swatched it. I’ll try wearing it later this week.
I got this trio through using the code ROUGEAMORE on my second order. (This code is only available to VIB Rouge). It includes deluxe samples of the AmorePacific Rejuvenating Creme, Sleeping Recovery Mask, and Rejuvenating Eye Treatment Gel. The full size of these are actually quite pricey, so I’m happy to try these. I’ve also wanted to try AmorePacific for the longest time, but for some reason haven’t. AmorePacific actually owns Laneige, innisfree, Sulwhasoo, and Etude House, all big brands on their own, so it’s interesting to see how similar/different these products are. I haven’t had the chance to try any of the products yet, but the packaging on these little babies is so cute! There’s a “mirror” overlay at he top, and the cap is almost the size of the whole thing – definitely unique.
I don’t use perfumes that much, so a rollerball is enough for my needs. I had tried the scent before from an insert in Vogue, I believe. Not a fan of the black one, but the white one smells delightful. Looks like this award was pretty popular, since I just checked, and it seems like it’s gone as a reward.
What did you think of my haul? Do you have any other tips on buying from Sephora?